Workforce Investment Opportunity Grant (WIOA)
Brings together, in strategic coordination, the core programs of Federal investment in skill development:
- Employment and training services for adults, dislocated workers, and youth and Wagner-Peyser employment services administered by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) through formula grants to states; and
- Adult education and family literacy programs as well as State Vocational Rehabilitation Services programs that assist eligible individuals with disabilities in obtaining employment; both core programs are administered by the U.S. Department of Education (ED).
America's Promise Grant
Employer driven training designed to train individuals in the skills needed by advanced manufacturers throughout the region. America's Promise Job Driven Grant is nearly $6 million in federal job training that was awarded to the Region 4 Workforce Board, headquartered in Lafayette and serving Benton, Carroll, Cass, Clinton, Fountain, Howard, Miami, Montgomery, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Warren and White counties.
The grant - the only one awarded in Indiana - will serve 1,124 workers over the four-year period from Jan. 11, 2017, through Dec. 31, 2020. The training consists of one week of employability skills; four weeks of hands-on, advanced manufacturing training that leads to a credential; and a five-week paid internship. Upon successful completion of the program, the goal would be that a job offer is made by the employer participating in the internship. The grant also includes funding to reimburse employers for incumbent worker and apprenticeship training.
Skill Up 3 Indiana
The Skill UP 3 grant provides an investment opportunity to design a system of initiatives that can impact the immediate critical hiring need in the advanced manufacturing sector while developing a future talent pipeline and retaining current workforce through:
- Career Awareness - Region 4 will increase Career Awareness and Technical Literacy through enhancing the current CoderDojo program by introducing Robotics and Coding in Manufacturing and adding advanced manufacturing simulators such as 3-D printers.
- Employment tied to Skills Training and Certifications - Region 4 has a strong pre-employment foundation to build upon for the Skills Training and Certifications.
- Retention/Incumbent Worker Training - This solution creates the avenue for employees to continue to move up the advanced manufacturing career pathway and for employers to fill much needed skilled positions. The training will be for the mid to high level skilled positions such as industrial maintenance and front line supervisory.
WorkKeys profilers work with company experts to define profiles based on job duties and skills required for an individual to be proficient. Profiling results on streamlined recruitment and hiring, reduced cost of hiring, and increased retention rates. Employees skills and abilities are aligned with their jobs, boosting moral and increasing productivity.
Wabash Heartland Innovation Network Initiative (WHIN)
Tecumseh Area Partnership, Inc. along with Greater Lafayette Commerce, Purdue University Polytechnic Institute, Ivy Tech Community College- Lafayette Campus, Indiana Next Generation Manufacturing Competitiveness Center (IN-MaC), and WHIN Region County LEDOs (Benton, Fountain, Cass, Carroll, Cass, Montgomery, Pulaski, Tippecanoe, Warren, and White) received $727,770 from the Regional Cultivation Fund to develop and offer authentic, hands-on, industry-education activities for K-12 students in the region.
The project will launch industry-connected educational activities across the region while also optimizing their impact through research. Robotics in Manufacturing Camps, Manufacturing Week, CoderDojos, and IN-MaC Design & Innovation Studios are the activities that will be conducted across the region.
Jobs for America's Graduates
Jobs for America’s Graduates, or JAG, is a school-to-career program implemented in 700 high schools, alternative schools, community colleges, and middle schools across the United States and United Kingdom. JAG’s mission is to keep young people in school through graduation and provide work-based learning experiences that will lead to career advancement opportunities or enrollment in a postsecondary institution that will lead to a rewarding career.